You need penny stock strategies and trading rules if you want to be the next penny stock millionaire trader.*
But how do you know which rules and strategies are most important when you’re starting?
Usually, you make a bunch of dumb mistakes, learn from them, and establish your rules of what NOT to do.
I’m here to help cut down the time it takes you to learn those lessons…
I’ve already made all the mistakes in the book. Now I teach others what I’ve learned over 20+ years in the markets. Learning from a mentor can drastically speed your learning curve. Not to mention save you a bunch of frustration.
So in this post, I’ll give you my rules for all penny stock traders, and I’ll share some penny stock traders’ success stories. Plus, I’ll give you a list of penny stocks to watch in 2021.
Let’s do this!
Table of Contents
- 1 How Much Money Can You Make in Penny Stocks?
- 2 Penny Stock Strategies: 64 Key Trading Rules for Success
- 2.1 1. Cut Losses Quickly
- 2.2 2. Get Out of Bad Trades
- 2.3 3. Small Gains Add Up
- 2.4 4. Trading Isn’t Easy
- 2.5 5. Learn What Works for You
- 2.6 6. Patterns Repeat
- 2.7 7. Keep a Trading Journal
- 2.8 8. Work From Almost Anywhere
- 2.9 9. Focus on the Process
- 2.10 10. Ignore Non-Volatile, Illiquid Penny Stocks
- 2.11 11. It’s OK to Be Wrong
- 2.12 12. Know How to React to the Market
- 2.13 13. Most Traders Lose
- 2.14 14. Don’t Believe the Hype
- 2.15 15. Don’t Fall for Pumps or Promotions
- 2.16 16. Most Penny Stocks Fail
- 2.17 17. Don’t Overstay Your Welcome
- 2.18 18. Don’t Get Greedy
- 2.19 19. Use a Great Scanner
- 2.20 20. Educate Yourself
- 2.21 21. Learn From Other Traders
- 2.22 22. Know When to Walk Away
- 2.23 23. Let the Best Trades Come to You
- 2.24 24. Forget Wall Street
- 2.25 25. You Can Start Small
- 2.26 26. Learn to Lose — Especially in the Beginning
- 2.27 27. Be Ready to Work
- 2.28 28. Value Your Time, Money, and Education
- 2.29 29. Never Trade With Money You Can’t Afford to Lose
- 2.30 30. Find the Right Broker for You
- 2.31 31. Understand All the Risks and Rewards
- 2.32 32. Be Wary of ‘Tips’
- 2.33 33. Know the Game
- 2.34 34. Watch for Catalysts
- 2.35 35. Take Advantage of Informational Inefficiencies
- 2.36 36. No Days Off
- 2.37 37. Prepare for the Long Haul
- 2.38 38. Trading Is NOT a 9-to-5 Job
- 2.39 39. Be Willing to Make Sacrifices to Learn YOUR Penny Stock Strategies
- 2.40 40. You Won’t Ever Be Perfect
- 2.41 41. No Excuses
- 2.42 42. Be Ready When Preparation Meets Opportunity
- 2.43 43. Stay in Your Lane
- 2.44 44. Find Your Edge
- 2.45 45. Study, Study, Study
- 2.46 46. Learn From My Newest Penny Stock Millionaire Traders
- 2.47 47. Study How These Top Traders Made It and Continue to Adapt
- 2.48 48. Learn From Jack Kellogg’s Exponential Growth in 4 Videos
- 2.49 49. Get the Right Mindset
- 2.50 50. Remember Your Goals
- 2.51 51. Size Up Slowly
- 2.52 52. Read to Learn Top Penny Stock Strategies
- 2.53 53. Use Free and No-Cost Resources
- 2.54 54. Be Humble
- 2.55 55. Don’t Use Leverage
- 2.56 56. Build Confidence
- 2.57 57. Know When to Be Conservative vs. Aggressive
- 2.58 58. NEVER Go All In
- 2.59 59. Be Careful of Scammers!
- 2.60 60. Always Be Ready to Adapt
- 2.61 61. Ride the Hype Train (Just Never Believe It)
- 2.62 62. I LOVE Pumps!
- 2.63 63. Think Like a Retired Trader
- 2.64 64. Study My 7-Step Framework & Penny Stock Strategies
- 3 Bonus Lessons!
- 4 Successful Penny Stock Millionaire Stories to Inspire You
- 5 3 Penny Stocks to Watch in 2021
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions About Penny Stock Strategies & Millionaires
- 7 The Bottom Line on Penny Stock Strategies & Rules
How Much Money Can You Make in Penny Stocks?
Trading can be a lucrative career. But I have to de-brainwash newbie traders from thinking about the money.
Trading’s counterintuitive. If you want to become a penny stock millionaire, you can’t focus on the money. Instead, focus on the process and smart penny stock strategies.
It’s all about having the right penny stock strategies, patterns, risk management, rules, and mindset.
If you constantly chase hot stock picks and follow others, you learn nothing. You won’t become a self-sufficient trader.
Don’t put your success in someone else’s hands. Instead, learn these rules and apply them to your trading. Work hard and study up!
(*Please note that these kinds of trading results are not typical. Most traders lose money. It takes years of dedication, hard work, and discipline to learn how to trade. Individual results will vary. Trading is inherently risky. Before making any trades, remember to do your due diligence and never risk more than you can afford to lose.)
Penny Stock Strategies: 64 Key Trading Rules for Success
I’ve updated this post several times now since 2009. 2009! How’s that for legacy?
And I have so many more awesome traders’ stories to share now.
So to honor 20+ years of trading, a crazy market, and 10 Challenge students hitting the $1 million milestone, I’m dusting off this old blog post…
But whether you make $100 or $100,000 in a week, the rules of the game and penny stock strategies don’t change. Here they are…
1. Cut Losses Quickly
When I’m wrong, I HAVE to…
2. Get Out of Bad Trades
This is a step up from cutting losses quickly. Many people are surprised when I take 5 or 10 cents per share in profits. But if a stock doesn’t do EXACTLY what I expect, I get out.
It all depends on the expectations I lay out in my trading plans. Want to know what I’m thinking when I enter and exit a trade? Sign up for Profit.ly and I’ll send you alerts and commentary for every trade.
3. Small Gains Add Up
4. Trading Isn’t Easy
Don’t start trading to get rich quick. Most of my millionaire students* are in year three or four of their trading journey. It takes years of studying and practice to nail down your patterns.
5. Learn What Works for You
6. Patterns Repeat
Despite the entire world hating on penny stocks, the manipulation creates patterns that repeat over time. I’ve traded the same patterns over and over in my 20+ years of trading. Now I teach them in my Trading Challenge.
7. Keep a Trading Journal
Many new traders make the mistake of trying to trade every stock that’s moving. Instead, focus on a few patterns to start and record your results. Then hone in on what works best for you.
8. Work From Almost Anywhere
9. Focus on the Process
Growing an account exponentially might sound like a daunting task, but it’s possible — if you focus on the process and honing your penny stock strategies.
10. Ignore Non-Volatile, Illiquid Penny Stocks
Take the meat of the move, then move to the next hot play. Don’t sit around and daydream about 500% wins.
11. It’s OK to Be Wrong
12. Know How to React to the Market
When the market’s on fire with plays, I trade more aggressively with larger position sizes and more speculative trades.
But when the market’s choppy or slow, I trade conservatively. I take smaller position sizes and minimize risk by not holding stocks overnight.
13. Most Traders Lose
Remember the majority of traders lose. I think that’s because most traders are too lazy to prepare or learn penny stock strategies that work for them. They don’t want to put in the time to learn the markets. They trade with their guts and no plan.
Go into every trade with a specific plan, including where you’ll enter and exit.
14. Don’t Believe the Hype
Don’t believe BS press releases. Fraud is rampant in penny stocks … The key is to accept that and learn to take advantage of it.
Understand that the vast majority of penny stock companies fail, and their stocks will go to zero. Always expect the worst and you won’t be disappointed.
15. Don’t Fall for Pumps or Promotions
I hate seeing so much misinformation about penny stocks and penny stock strategies. It’s why I love to teach the truth about penny stock pumps and promotions. Too many people believe promoters and get sucked into buying and holding pumps. NEVER believe the promoters or the hype, because…
16. Most Penny Stocks Fail
So don’t short a stock, then ignore it if it goes against you. Logic and reason are often weeks, months, or even years behind in penny stocks.
17. Don’t Overstay Your Welcome
I day trade penny stocks — I don’t invest. So I hold my positions for a very short time. I take the meat of the move and move on. The longest I hold a stock is overnight. And I never hold and hope a loser will turn into a winner.
18. Don’t Get Greedy
My goal for a trade is usually 10%–20%. More than that is a bonus. Don’t swing for home runs or try to make 100% or more on a trade. Those kinds of trades don’t come along every day.
Focus on taking small profits over time.
19. Use a Great Scanner
A scanner is a must-have weapon for the trading battlefield. I prefer StocksToTrade’s 40+ built-in scanners. And you can customize your own. StocksToTrade was developed specifically for the low-priced stocks I love to trade.
(Quick disclaimer: I proudly helped design and develop StocksToTrade and am an investor in it.)
20. Educate Yourself
Get my 30-Day Bootcamp. It’s a month’s worth of lessons with daily assignments and homework. You can work at your own pace and repeat it as many times as you like. Plus, it comes with “The Complete Penny Stock Course” book and my “Pennystocking Framework” DVD. All for under $100.
21. Learn From Other Traders
Most of my top students turned millionaires* have become moderators in my Challenge chat room. They share penny stock strategies daily and answer questions. You can also see all their trades on Profit.ly.
22. Know When to Walk Away
No great plays? Don’t be afraid to take the day off. Too many traders feel the need for action and waste time and money looking for it. Don’t force trades…
23. Let the Best Trades Come to You
Don’t be desperate to trade — let the best trades come to you. One of my haters once emailed me and said, “Tim you only trade gimmes, step up and trade real stuff like forex.”
Of course I only trade gimme setups. Why would I make trading harder for myself?
24. Forget Wall Street
Wall Street spits on penny stocks for their lack of upside. They think the gains aren’t worth it. But it’s great for those of us who are ready to take advantage of promotions and pumps with penny stock strategies.
25. You Can Start Small
26. Learn to Lose — Especially in the Beginning
Yes, great gains are possible. But don’t expect them at the beginning. Your first goal should be to learn the patterns and strategies. Aim small, miss small. Stay in the game long enough to be in the right place to take advantage of the best plays when they come about.
27. Be Ready to Work
You hear about my millionaire students when they’ve made it to $1 million in trading profits. But you don’t see the years of hard work they put in to learn their penny stock strategies.*
All the top Challenge traders put in years of dedicated study to reach major profit milestones. Don’t come into trading thinking it’s easy.
28. Value Your Time, Money, and Education
I value my time. That’s why I charge tuition for my Trading Challenge. I don’t have time to waste on lazy degenerates. Plus, people value education more when they pay for it. I’ve given out free resources in the past, and people don’t use them.
29. Never Trade With Money You Can’t Afford to Lose
You can’t trade penny stocks if you have $50 to your name…
Take it seriously. Save up enough to fund an account with at least a few thousand dollars. Never trade with money you need for bills or food. Remember, most traders lose.
30. Find the Right Broker for You
I use E-Trade and Interactive Brokers. They work for me. It doesn’t mean they’re the best. And it doesn’t mean they’ll work for you.
31. Understand All the Risks and Rewards
Know what’s involved with trading. Learn everything you can about the markets and trading before you start. Stay focused on your goals and the rewards, but always know the risks.
32. Be Wary of ‘Tips’
Never follow anyone’s stock picks or ‘hot tips.’ Smart traders learn to trade for themselves. They don’t follow others. If you ever get a penny stock tip, expect insiders and others to sell into your buying.
33. Know the Game
Back in the day, I used to LOVE shorting. But finding shares to borrow was always a challenge. These days it’s a bit easier, but it’s still part of the game.
34. Watch for Catalysts
35. Take Advantage of Informational Inefficiencies
This is one of the coolest things about penny stocks … Because the niche is so small, breaking news can take days or weeks to get priced into stocks.
36. No Days Off
Don’t take days off, EVER. At least check in on the markets even if it’s for 30 minutes, especially when the market’s hot. Hot markets don’t last forever. Capitalize on the opportunities and save your days off for slower markets.
37. Prepare for the Long Haul
Most students aren’t in this for the long haul. They want to ‘get rich quick’ and chase hot picks.
Realize that trading can change your life over time. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. What will you do today, this week, this month, to prepare to strike when there are solid opportunities?
38. Trading Is NOT a 9-to-5 Job
39. Be Willing to Make Sacrifices to Learn YOUR Penny Stock Strategies
You must be ready to leave friends and family to capture opportunities. I missed my college graduation but made nearly a semester’s tuition.* Going to the bathroom once cost me $30,000. You have to choose how badly you want it.
40. You Won’t Ever Be Perfect
41. No Excuses
I don’t make excuses for missed trades. Understand that penny stock trading takes time to learn and practice. Sometimes sacrifices are necessary.
42. Be Ready When Preparation Meets Opportunity
Planning is fine, but you also need execution. When a good plan AND execution come together, it can mean serious profits.
All my top students have put in years of hard work and studying. And when the 2020 hot market came, they were ready to capitalize.
43. Stay in Your Lane
NEVER trade stocks like Microsoft, Bank of America, or Priceline … You have no edge whatsoever. And risking money without an edge is the definition of gambling.
44. Find Your Edge
Every trader needs an edge. For me in penny stocks, it’s knowing about the manipulation and promotions and taking advantage of them. That gives me an edge over penny stock ‘investors’ who believe the promoters and BS hype.
45. Study, Study, Study
46. Learn From My Newest Penny Stock Millionaire Traders
47. Study How These Top Traders Made It and Continue to Adapt
48. Learn From Jack Kellogg’s Exponential Growth in 4 Videos
Here’s part 1 of Jack’s story…
49. Get the Right Mindset
50. Remember Your Goals
Whenever you feel daunted by all the studying to learn penny stock strategies, remember the rewards:
51. Size Up Slowly
52. Read to Learn Top Penny Stock Strategies
- “Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques” by Steve Nison
- “Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds” by Charles Mackay
- “Reminiscences of a Stock Operator” by Edwin Lefèvre
(As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.)
53. Use Free and No-Cost Resources
54. Be Humble
Don’t let wins and profits go to your head. Stay humble, or the market will humble you.
55. Don’t Use Leverage
NEVER use leverage. It can help you grow your account, but it can also increase your losses. Again, don’t trade with money you can’t afford to lose.
56. Build Confidence
57. Know When to Be Conservative vs. Aggressive
Be aggressive on your favorite patterns and ideal setups in hot markets. When it’s a slower market, be more conservative and protect your account.
Start with small positions and risk an amount you’re comfortable with. But…
58. NEVER Go All In
No matter how good a pattern looks, it’s not worth risking disaster. No one trade is worth risking your account over, EVER.
59. Be Careful of Scammers!
60. Always Be Ready to Adapt
61. Ride the Hype Train (Just Never Believe It)
I don’t care which promoter hypes up which stock. As long as penny stocks run on hype, manipulation, and lies, smart traders can find opportunity.
62. I LOVE Pumps!
63. Think Like a Retired Trader
64. Study My 7-Step Framework & Penny Stock Strategies
Understand that to be truly successful in penny stock strategies, and in life, you need to go above and beyond. Study these bonus lessons:
- Aspire to be this one day … Work hard enough and achieve your goals.
- Eat healthy and work out. Health is crucial to successful trading.
- Understand celebrities don’t know penny stocks, much less finance. Sometimes they get duped into promoting pumps. Don’t listen to them.
- The major financial media usually don’t cover penny stocks. And when they do, they usually do it wrong, like pumping up some crap company. Don’t hate on the ignorant media — their naivete creates opportunity.
- Don’t hate on those who think it’s illegal to short penny stocks or that a pump will go to the moon. Try to save them with good information. If they resist, recognize this is how the penny stock industry has always been. The truth about promoters is tough for many to accept.
Successful Penny Stock Millionaire Stories to Inspire You
Need more inspiration to find your penny stock strategies? Learn from some penny stock millionaires!
Learn even more with Mariana*:
3 Penny Stocks to Watch in 2021
Penny Stock to Watch #1: Asia Broadband Inc. (OTCPK: AABB)
AABB is a metals and mining company that’s moving into the crypto space. Nope, you can’t make this stuff up…
Penny Stock to Watch #2: Transportation and Logistics Systems Inc. (OTCPK: TLSS)
TLSS is a trucking and logistics company. Online shopping and home deliveries increased over the last year … And the stock has spiked on news of the company expanding its fleet.
Penny Stock to Watch #3: UA Multimedia Inc. (OTCPK: UAMM)
UAMM is another sketchy penny-stock company that changes its business plan based on hot sectors. It was a marijuana stock before changing over to crypto. Watch for this company to enter whatever hot sector runs next…
Frequently Asked Questions About Penny Stock Strategies & Millionaires
Can You Get Rich Trading Penny Stocks?
My penny stock millionaire students and I are proof that you can get rich trading penny stocks.* But new traders shouldn’t think about the money. Trading’s about finding a process that works for you and repeating it over time.
What’s the Most Successful Penny Stock Ever?
Clothing company True Religion was once a penny stock trading on the Nasdaq. It got bought out by a private investment firm for $824 million, or $32 per share. But the company still didn’t find success. It filed for bankruptcy in 2017 and again in April 2020.
What Percentage of Penny Stocks Fail?
Almost all penny stock companies are junk and eventually fail. I don’t believe in any of them. Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. Never believe the hype or think that you’re buying the next Apple or Microsoft. Trade the volatility and hype, then move on.
Can I Day Trade Penny Stocks?
Yes, you can day trade penny stocks. But if you have less than $25,000 in your margin account, you’ll be limited to three day trades per five-day period. Holding a stock overnight doesn't count as a day trade.
The Bottom Line on Penny Stock Strategies & Rules
Learning to trade can be hard work. Use these trading rules and penny stock strategies to help you develop a process.
I weed out the lazy students so I can focus on teaching those who truly want success bad enough. Do you?
What do you think about these penny stock strategies and millionaire stories? Will you follow these trading rules? Let me know in the comments … I love to hear from you!
Tim’s trading results are not typical and do not reflect the experience of the majority of individuals using the service. This level of successful trading is not typical and does not reflect the experience of the majority of individuals using the services and products offered on this website. From January 1, 2020, to December 31, 2020, typical users of the products and services offered by this website reported earning, on average, an estimated $49.91 in profit. This figure is taken from tracking user accounts on Profit.ly, a trading community platform. Timothy Sykes has a minority shareholder interest in the platform. The typical success rate of users was based on the following methodology:
-From January 1, 2020, to December 31, 2020, 849,078 trades were uploaded to Profit.ly. 633,891 trades were “verified” (corroborated with trade account data).
-Instructor trades are ignored.
-Average P&L / trades is obtained by calculating total P&L and dividing by the total number of trades.
-Average trades per account is obtained by counting the total number of trades and dividing by the number of accounts (mean function)