Anthony’s Incredible Mindset: Key Takeaways
- A devastating accident broke Anthony’s neck, but not his spirit…
- How he blew up his account TWICE before finding his ideal trading strategy…
- A mind-blowing mindset that EVERYONE must learn from!
Table of Contents
- 1 Serious Backbone + Short-Selling Stamina
- 2 Anthony’s Trading Timeline
- 3 Anthony’s Incredible Story
- 4 Anthony’s Trading Wisdom
- 5 Are You Motivated?
Serious Backbone + Short-Selling Stamina
Short selling can get really scary really fast.
In 2013, he sustained a severe upper spinal cord injury. He was told he might not move or breathe without assistance ever again.
Not only has he exceeded doctors’ expectations for recovery, but he’s forged an impressive trading career as a short seller.
I interviewed him in 2019, but it’s about time for an update. You won’t believe his incredible story and how his trading career has evolved…
View this post on Instagram
Speaking of evolving, here’s another incredible student to check out. Jenny started studying my penny stock trading strategy, then branched out to learning options with my student Mark Croock. Don’t miss this…
Anthony: The 411
First, let’s talk trading deets.
Anthony’s Go-To Trading Patterns
As a short seller, Anthony has two key approaches:
- Shorting multi-day runners
- Shorting pumps
Note: Not sure what a multi-day runner is? Check out this video:
Anthony’s Trading Picks
Here’s what keeps Anthony motivated…
- Favorite Trading Challenge resource: My “PennyStocking Framework” DVD. Anthony’s review? “How the hell did you break it down this well? You’re insane!” Love it.
- Trading inspiration: The Trading Challenge and its chat room community. For short selling inspiration, he follows Tim Grittani, who’s up over $13.5 million in trading profits* and Mike ‘Huddie’ Hudson, who’s up over $1.3 million in trading profits.*
(Profit.ly data as of mid-October 2021)
- Trading goals: To become the “first big Canadian Trading Challenge student” and to demonstrate to those with disabilities that they can do this, too.
Anthony’s Trading Timeline
- 2013: Accident, surgeries, and rehab.
- 2018: Starts trading. Applies for and is accepted to my Trading Challenge.
- 2018–2019: Blows up two trading accounts.
- 2019: I visit and interview Anthony. (See the video below.)
- 2020: Decides to trade less and spend more time watching videos and furthering his trading education. Realizes that he’s much better at short selling than going long. Adjusts his focus to short selling.
- 2021: Continues to hone his short-selling skill set with increased focus, practice, and learning from his mistakes.
Anthony’s Incredible Story
In 2013, Anthony’s life changed forever…
A Life-Changing Accident
It was a pretty chill day. Anthony was away for a weekend of poolside relaxation. Before heading home, he felt like jumping in the water one more time.
He remembers walking toward the pool. He remembers slipping — he can’t recall if it was forward or backward.
And he remembers feeling the impact.
The next thing he knew, he was floating face-down in the water, unable to move at all. He could see his arms just hanging there.
So he did the only thing he could — held his breath and hoped someone would see him.
Luckily, his cousin spotted him and pulled him out. Anthony knew right away that he was paralyzed…
Anthony had broken his neck. Bone was lodged in the spinal cord, causing paralysis.
At the time, doctors thought the break was “complete” — meaning the spinal cord was completely severed.
Things got worse before they got better.
Anthony couldn’t move. He needed a ventilator to breathe.
His recovery outlook didn’t look good. Doctors didn’t know if he’d ever move or breathe on his own again.
Fortunately, following three surgeries and intensive rehab, his recovery began to exceed expectations.
Anthony began to breathe on his own. He found he could move his arms. The injury was ruled “incomplete.”
Today, he says that he’s as independent as he can be considering his injury. He can manage most of his own self-care and has the freedom to spend time with his loved ones.
His biggest challenges have been emotional…
A Huge Identity Shift
Anthony says that recovery is “sort of like trading — it’s all mental.”
Before his accident, Anthony had worked as an electrician. It was extremely physical work that meant a lot of time spent outdoors.
His injury stripped away that livelihood and career.
Trading helped him find a new identity and personal empowerment…
Anthony found me in 2018.
He’d always had an interest in the stock market, but until he found me, he had no knowledge of the difference between trading and investing.
When he joined the Trading Challenge, that began to change. But it didn’t happen right away.
Between 2018 and 2019, he burned through two $5,000 accounts. He was trying too many things and not focusing. Those are typical reasons why traders lose money.
In 2020, he took a break. He focused on his education and traded less. He knew that what he was doing wasn’t working.
During this time, he realized that going short was the best approach for him. It’s tough being in Canada. His options for brokers are limited, and he can’t always find shares to short with his current broker. But overall, his laser focus on short selling multi-day runners and pumps has paid off.
He reports that it’s been his best year yet, with trades on stocks like Vinco Ventures Inc (NASDAQ: BBIG).*
Anthony’s not perfect. He admits that he doesn’t always cut losses quickly enough.
Sometimes he goes in too big and averages up or down. He could use work on timing his entries.
But a trader’s work is never really done…
Anthony’s Trading Wisdom
Here’s what Anthony wants every new trader to know…
Key Quote From Anthony
“It’s better to cut losses quickly and be right than cut your losses later and be dead wrong and lose more money. At least then you know you’re on track and doing the right things.”
Anthony’s Key Lessons
- Cut losses quickly.
- Always plan your trades.
- Have an exit strategy. Don’t get into a trade and not know what you’re going to do next.
- Stick to your plan.
- Don’t overtrade.
Are You Motivated?
Anthony has overcome some incredible odds in life and in trading.
I’m proud to share his story with you. It demonstrates what’s possible when you have the right mindset and the will to succeed.
I’m incredibly inspired by Anthony’s story … And I hope you are too. I can’t wait to see how his trading career shapes up! Stay tuned for further updates.
How are you inspired by Anthony’s trading story? Are you willing to work hard no matter what to make your goals a reality in trading and beyond? Leave a comment!
*Results are not typical and will vary from person to person. Making money trading stocks takes time, dedication, and hard work. Most who receive free or paid content will make little or no money because they will not apply the skills being taught. Any results displayed are exceptional. We do not guarantee any outcome regarding your earnings or income as the factors that impact such results are numerous and uncontrollable.
It takes years of dedication, hard work, and discipline to learn how to trade. Individual results will vary. Trading is inherently risky. Before making any trades, remember to do your due diligence and never risk more than you can afford to lose. I’ve also hired Tim Grittani and Mike ‘Huddie’ Hudson to assist in my education business.